10/24/09

The Lord of the Rings

Yes, I'm a big Lord of the Rings fan. I've been re-watching them over the last few weeks with my friends William and Kerri and Robert. Last night Thatcher and Laura also joined us to finish things off with the Return of the King.

I think my favorite character in the movies might be Aragorn. In a lot of movies, I like characters because they're I can identify with them, or I can see their flaws and connect with them as a person. I don't know if I can do that with Aragorn. I think I really like him because he's not like a lot of modern characters in movies. His only real flaw is that he isn't completely confident in his abilities and destiny, and I don't really think thats a flaw.

The thing that stands out in my mind the most is just a random shot in Return of the King when he is fighting some orcs. Really its only because of his contrast with Legolas that I can pinpoint that moment. A little bit before, Legolas is single-handedly brining down a whole oliphant by swinging and climbing up the legs, slicing the supports for the mini-tower of enemies on its back, and finishing it off by sliding down the trunk and landing on his feet. That's cool, but he definitely looks like he knows its cool, and tat was part of why he did it. Soon afterwards, we see a shot of Aragorn battling several enemies at once. Even though he's the heir of the throne of Gondor, he doesn't have the pomp, or flashy moves. He actually looks really tired and kind of sad. He doesn't really want to be fighting, but he's doing it because he knows he has to.

Sometimes when I'm writing a blog post, I feel like I'm back in school, writing a paper. Just now I was sitting here, trying to think of a good conclusion, that re-stated my thesis, and really got at the heart of the issue. I couldn't come up with anything though. And thats whats nice about not being in school.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Nobody asked if you were a big Lord of the Rings fan, but thanks for clarifying it in your first sentence.

Maybe there's a hidden king in you and that's why you like Aragorn.

dante stack said...

"...and now you know the rest of the story."